Friday 13 September 2013

I must I must...

I have said it before and I'll say it again - I'm sure exercise isn't good for you!!  Now I'm attempting to kick the apathy and I've had a quiet time at work I've kicked the arse out of crossfit this week.  4 days in a row and now I can't move (OK I'm exaggerating, I can move my eyelids).  Tuesday's WOD seemed fairly innocuous - 10 mins of  5 powercleans on the minute  and a 7 minute AMRAP of 7 thrusters and 35 doubleunders.  I scaled everything so as not to annoy the temperamental shoulder and concentrated on technique (getting the elbows through quickly and killing the elves (thanks Andrew for that one!)) and I did front squats instead of thrusters - light and low, and 110 skips instead of doubleunders.  So far so good.  I didn't feel too bad after that and so I blithely went along to Wednesday's class (I should have known it would be too good to last!)

50 40 30 20 10 russian swings and press ups.  I did some light and low back squat strength work first and then went light (12kg) with the swings and did the press ups off a (very tall) box to avoid the crappy form you get when you do them on your knees (thanks James for that one! I think...)  It was horrible.  I really didn't think your boobs could hurt after a workout but they did (and still do!).  However I remind myself that pressups make your boobs perky and now I can even make them jiggle if I tense my muscles (not sure exactly which muscles I've been tensing because to be honest I was trying to locate my lats and found my boobs doing a little dance).  
I didn't even think I had lats until James made us use a foam roller on them pre-workout and oh boy did I find them!   *sigh* yet another area of pain to add to the collection, good thing I don't appear to use them much.  For those who don't know, the lats are the ones on your back that when well-developed seem to spread out like wings (who needs red bull huh?)
 and give you a V shaped body.  (See photo of strange man wearing a fishing hat to do pullups.  Personally I think the 'lat look' as I am now going to call it, looks far more attractive on the lovely Kirsty - modelling the perfect painface during Tribal Clash).

My triceps are producing some exquisite agony too, which is proving embarrassing when I'm in public as I emit pathetic little pain noises every time I move my arms.  The answer to that was obviously to go to bed and stay there for a week with a big bar of chocolate keep going to crossfit and so Thursday was pull ups and turkish get ups day.  I know! perfect for a dodgy shoulder, but actually Coach Hulk Grogan showed my that now I can actually raise my arms over my head that I could do pull ups again and I didn't need to use every band in the box to achieve it.

He did look askance at me as I trundled to the rig with the two thickest bands that there were and then found that I almost catapulted myself out of the door using them.  I worked back down to a green which is where I was before my shoulder decided to take a sabbatical, so I did a little dance in my head (mainly because the rest of my body hurts too much to actually do a dance, little or otherwise).  Then we went for the WOD and I did my turkish getups with a shoe (yes you read that right!) because doing them with a shoe balanced on your palm is perfect rehab for a dodgy shoulder (thanks again James) (I did the other arm with 8kg, which is marginally pathetic, but I have a little bit of fear (not wholly irrational) about dropping a 12kg kettlebell on my head!
By this time I really was hurting....EVERYWHERE, but as I'd managed 3 sessions I thought I'd go for a record (for me) of 4 sessions in a week and as it was Friday 13th it would have been cowardly/superstitious to back out - bl&%dy hell I wish I had.  30 burpees, 40 wall balls, 50 double unders FOUR TIMEs, even reading it is horrific.   I negotiated 150 skips instead of double unders as I'm still hobbling after Sunday's attempt at mastering them and used a pitiful 3kg wall ball to the 9m mark (because I'm a hobbit!)  Even so it was truly revolting.

 I got to three rounds with 5 minutes to go on the 30 minute cut off time so I had to start (and unfortunately finish) the 4th round and every single burpee made me want to vomit.  At least I have learnt a couple of things - I should be putting flat palms rather than fingertip spider hands on the ground when I burpee (that might explain some of my shoulder problems!) and I think I might have found my wall ball technique (but don't tell anyone as I might have to start increasing the ball weight if they find out).  A strange bloke from the surrounding garages/workshops gave me a high five salute as I walked out of the box drenched in sweat and glowing like a tomato - I guess he must be impressed that a fat bird can do burpees ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment