Tuesday 17 September 2013

Silence is Golden?

Having broken my record for number of crossfit sessions attended in a week I turned off the alarm on Saturday and went back to bed.  I had an appointment with James Jowsey , sports therapist on Sunday and as he only had an hour he couldn't deal with all the wonky bits of my body.  We settled for just the achilles as I've been hobbling for a week after trying to crack double unders in last week's open session.  After an hour and a bit of performing weird and wonderful movements and being videoed, so I wouldn't forget my exercises, (I began to wonder whether I was actually on some kind of reality show to see how many daft things someone will do until they call it a day) I found myself  banned from running, jumping,skipping and hopping, which under normal circumstances would have me jumping clapping for joy.   However taking into account the limitations of my shoulder that pretty much leaves me with situps, squats and lunges (my butt is aching just thinking about it).  I am also allowed to do knock-kneed star jumps which make me look quite special!  Apparently I have very stretchy calves which have no power and therefore tug on the achilles everytime I try to do anything requiring bounce.
 Monday morning I headed to the box armed with my video.  I couldn't do the strength session of handstand push ups (even scaled on the box hurt too much) so I went back to turkish getups with a shoe (another way to look special, but it's supposed to be be rehab for my shoulder)  I felt pretty idiotic especially as I watched some of the girls perform amazing feats (Nina and Janine were down to 3 pads and one of the other girls managed 3 full HSPUs!)  Hmm I struggle even getting into a handstand (and that was before the shoulder injury!)
However I had no excuse not to do the WOD "Silence" - 5 rounds 1 minute pull ups, 1 minute burpees (bleurgh), 1 minute sumo deadlift high pulls 1 minute rest.  While I can manage about 3 pull ups with a green band I went with a blue because the shoulder was grumpy and also because I planned on doing more than 3 in the minute (I averaged 11 so I think I probably scaled it about right), burpees (lets not talk about those) and I kept the sumos under 20kg as the high pull was aggravating (to the shoulder not me).  For a 20 minute workout it really was pretty hard, but this evening after icing my shoulder and taking some ibuprofen it isn't as annoyed as I thought it would be, so I think despite feeling a little bit lame with having to keep weights low, I think I am scaling it right.
All in all it's been a bit of a crap week and that coinciding with raging hormones means I have fallen off the paleo wagon in style - curry, rice, naan bread, chocolate cake.  As I'd gone that far I finished it off with a whisky.  Bleurgh I haven't felt so ill from food in a very long time and to cap it all off I woke up, having slept oddly, with a trapped nerve in my neck.  Luckily I had a lunchtime crossfit session and so a combination of ice and ibuprofen meant that I could move it by the time I got to the box.  What a cracker today - warmed up with my knock-kneed, pigeon toed star jumps and then moved onto max time chair sits (boxes not rings) 65 seconds, 1km row for time 4 mins 20 secs, and then a team WOD involving a log (3 rounds for time 30 squats and 30 over and unders)  I had proper bambi legs after that one!

Having been brought up a Catholic I still am subject to feelings of guilt and so I have vowed to be paleo (apart from dairy because I had cream and ricotta in the fridge) for the rest of the week to try and get rid of the blubber I seem to be piling on again.  Don't get me wrong I really enjoy Paleo/Wholefood when I'm on it, but it does require a great deal of preparation; a large fridge and freezer, LOTS of tupperware, a hand blender, a food processor, a slow cooker and a mandolin.  So I decided to do some prep, I grated white and red cabbages, carrots and apple and them made mayo so I have 3 flavours of coleslaw (smokey paprika, curry and normal), then I roasted a pumpkin and a butternut squash I had hanging around and pureed the flesh and froze it in batches and then I made a sugar free meringue with the egg white left over from the mayo (to be eaten with whipped cream and blueberries).  Once I've got some guacamole and grated carrot salad I'll be back on track.   I'm even going to  slow cook a shoulder of pork with apple and ginger tomorrow so I have pulled pork to keep me away from the curry house.

No comments:

Post a Comment